- CoE Faculty, Staff and Graduate Students are eligible to download and install Mathematica on UC owned workstations and laptops for non-commercial research and instructional activities.
- CoE Undergraduates may use Mathematica in any of the ECI labs. Mathematica is NOT available to undergrads for installation on laptops or home computers.
- Note: Software downloads available ONLY from UCSB campus networks. If you are trying to download while connected to the campus wireless, you must use the campus vpn service (http://www.oit.ucsb.edu/network_services/VPN_service/).
Download the Install and License Files
Go to https://accounts.engr.ucsb.edu/software and login.
Download both the installation media and the license file from the links on the ECI Account Management Software Page.
For the installation media, choose the version you want when given a list of folders with different versions and select the option depending on your operating system (Mac, Windows, or Linux).
Installation on OS X
- Double click the downloaded .iso file.
- Run the installer file once the .iso file is mounted.
Installation on Linux
Note: You will probably have to run some of the following commands as a super user. You can do that by prepending “sudo” without the quotes to the commands you wish to run as a super user.
Open up the terminal.
Go to the folder containing the downloaded iso file:
For example: cd ~/Downloads
Mount the iso file.
mount -o loop downloadedFileName.iso /some/mount/point
Note: The /some/mount/point can be any empty folder on the system. The installer files will then be accessible from the folder name and path you designate.
Go to the folder “Unix” and then into the folder “Installer”.
Run the file MathInstaller. For simplicity, you can use the default install locations when prompted by Mathematica.
See directions below about moving the mathpass file into place before running Mathematica for the first time.
Once installed, to run Mathematica. Enter in the command line:
Installation on Windows
Download and Install Virtual Clone available at http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html
Use Virtual Clone to mount the .iso file that you downloaded.
Run the installer file from the mounted virtual disk.
Before Running Mathematica for the First Time
Once you have installed Mathematica, you should find the license file that you downloaded in step 1. Rename the file to “mathpass” without any file extensions (ex: It should NOT be “mathpass.txt” but rather just “mathpass”). Then move that file to the appropriate location depending on your Operating System.
Note: If you install Mathematica in a directory other than the default, you can move the mathpass file into the Configuration\Licensing directory inside the folder containing the installed Mathematica files.
1. If not prompted to activate, select Enter Activation Key from the Welcome Screen, or open a new notebook and go to Help > Enter Activation Key
2. Click on “Other ways to activate”.
3. Select Connect to a network license server.
4. If your mathpass file was properly moved, then it should fill in the IP address of the license server for you. If not, you can use license.engr.ucsb.edu instead. Click Activate.
5. Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
6. You're done.