In order to update your Matlab installation to work with the new license server, you will need to do the following prior to 11/15/2013.
** If you are unable to use the Matlab GUI to activate, please see alternate instructions below.
** Users of Matlab versions older than R2010, see alternate instructions below.
1. Download the new license file at https://accounts.engr.ucsb.edu/software/login - click on the button "Updated license file for new CoE license server!" and save the file as license.dat somewhere handy. If your browser does not automatically start the download and you find yourself staring at a "white page with a few lines of text" that begins with these lines:
# MathWorks license passcode file.
go ahead and save the file by clicking 'File' -> 'Save As'.
2. Click help -> Licensing -> Activate Software
3.Choose "Activate manually without the Internet"
4.Enter path to the license file that you downloaded
5. Users of Matlab R2013 will have a slightly different view to start the activation process.
######### Alternate Instructions #########
1. Download the new license file at https://accounts.engr.ucsb.edu/software/login - click on the button "Updated license file for new CoE license server!" and save the file as license.dat somewhere handy.
2. Locate your old license file. Matlab license files may be named license.dat, license.lic or network.lic and can typically be found in the following locations:
C:\Program Files\MATLAB\VERSION\licenses (Windows) /Applications/MATLAB_VERSION.app/licenses (Mac) /usr/local/MATLAB/VERSION/licenses (Linux)
In OS X, you may need to set the Finder's Preferences to "Show All File Extensions" to see the license file location in the GUI. See here. Once you are able to see 'MATLAB_R20XXx.app' in the Finder, rt. click the MATLAB_R20XXx.app file and choose 'Show Package Contents'. You should now be able to navigate to the /Applications/MATLAB_R20XXx.app/licenses folder.
3. Rename the old license file (eg. license.dat.old or network.lic.old)
4. Copy the new license file into the appropriate location (as network.lic) and restart Matlab.
Tags: license server, matlab