Mezić Research Group

Dynamical Systems and Nonlinear Control Theory

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Manipulation of Nanosize to Microsize Particles Using AC Electrokinetic Forces

Dr. Sophie Loire

I study the manipulation of micro to nanosize particles in an interdigitated electrode array channel.

The ability to manipulate biological objects from micrometer to nanometer scale in microfluidic devices plays an important role in many biological and colloidal science applications. Selective separation, trapping and focusing of micro/nanoscale particles are some of the key tasks for preparation and detection on a lab-on-a-chip device. Using electric forces, fluid motion can be induced with electroosmosis, while charged particles can be transported by electrophoresis, and polarisable particles may be manipulated with dielectrophoresis. I study the manipulation of micro to nanosize particles in an interdigitated electrode array channel. Inhomogeneities in the electric-field allow the utilization of dielectrophoresis DEP. In our setup a rotating fluid flow due to AC electroosmosis (ACEO) is also present. I work on analyzing the possible particle dynamics in this system and on developing new methods and designs for efficient particle manipulation using multiple frequencies.

In my research, I use various dynamical systems and stochastic methods. For example I developed a spatial filter averaging approach of a probabilistic method to numerically solve linear parabolic equations.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 May 2009 17:14  

Acknowledgements